Tuesday 2 March 2021

The Breakup Plan: Elle Vaughn

Title: The Breakup Plan
Author: Elle Vaughn
Publish Date: December 15th, 2020
Publisher: Self-published
Source: Thank you to NetGalley and the author for a review copy!
Elliot has just made the list of America’s hottest bachelors. A successful business mogul who has made a name for himself in Silicon Valley, Elliot’s life is just about perfect—that is until an incriminating photo of himself appears in a tabloid magazine. If anyone discovers who the other person in the photo is, his career would be ruined.

Penny’s life has been anything but charmed. Struggling to make ends meet, she’s determined to make a better life for herself. Desperate to rescue her little brother from the same troubled life she had growing up, Penny will do whatever it takes to make sure he’s safe. Now that she’s starting an internship at a large corporation, she can only hope this is the start of something better.

And that’s when an asshole named Elliot Faulkner makes her an offer she can’t refuse.

Penelope's Review

This was a new author to me, but I decided to read this book based on its synopsis which sounded quite intriguing. Unfortunately, this missed the mark a bit in my opinion, but I would give this author another try for sure.

First off, I felt the writing style was subpar. I just had this overwhelming feeling that I was reading a junior level novel, despite the copious amounts of swearing. The language used was very simple, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what I expected from an adult romance novel. 

Character development was pretty good here, especially in Elliot's case. He started out as a total asshole and I wasn't really a fan. But he did grow and develop a conscience as the book went on, and I was swayed to his side. Penny was an interesting character. She definitely had a lot of fight in her, and wasn't taking crap from anyone. She was  headstrong, yet also vulnerable at times which was a nice touch. It made her seem more real. 

Overall, while this wasn't quite my cup of tea, it was on ok read. I ended up finishing it in a couple days so definitely a quick, easy read. I just think more could have been done with it, and the writing style could be improved a bit. There were a lot of things that could have been elaborated on and I felt like there was some loose ends. The ending was a bit odd.. kind of abrupt? I kept swiping on my Kindle because I thought there was another chapter... an epilogue at least but nada. I'd say give this book a try regardless, I feel like it is one that will have some readers loving it and some feeling meh. I just happen to be in the meh section!

Rating: 3/5 Devils!







1 comment:

  1. Hopefully if you read this author again the next one will be more of a win! I do hate it when an ending seems abrupt and I'm turning the page looking for more! Glad it was a fast read though and still had some good points.

    ReplyDelete