Tuesday 16 March 2021

Book of Love: Erin Satie

 

Title: Book of Love
Author: Erin Satie
Publish Date: April 20th, 2021
Publisher: Little Phrase
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC for review!

She’s trying to make ends meet. He’s out for a bit of fun.

Cordelia is busy, focused, worried about the future of her fledgling bookbinding business. When a handsome man stops her on the street to pester her with questions, she gives him the consideration he deserves: none.

That handsome man happens to be the Duke of Stroud, and he finds Cordelia’s hostility hilarious. He gives chase, if only for the pleasure of provoking her again.

He thinks life is a game. She doesn’t play around.

Within days of meeting Cordelia, Stroud sets a marching band on a matchmaking mama, defaces a local monument, and ropes Cordelia into a round of his favorite game.

In that same time, Cordelia stitches together the complete works of Mary Wollstonecraft, enthusiastically devotes herself to a petition demanding expanded legal rights for married women, and beats Stroud at his own game.

She defies all expectations. So does he.

Most people dismiss Stroud as a fool—himself included. When Cordelia sees past his lighthearted facade, he’s terrified and also... in love?

Stroud barges into Cordelia’s life, offering her all the material and sensual temptations she’s learned to do without. She usually has willpower to spare, but turning him down takes all of it, and then some. He’s oddly irresistible.

Or maybe they’re perfect for one another.

Penelope's Review

This book actually really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it! I wasn't expecting to love it so much, and yet I did! I am new to this author, so I wasn't sure what to expect going in but I am definitely a fan after this book and will be trying out her other books when I get the chance.

Book of Love follows Cordelia and Stroud as the main characters. Cordelia is confident and direct, never afraid to stand up for what she believes in. I love that she is making her own way in the world, and forever loyal to her friends! Stroud was a funny sort of fellow... I liked the way he kept his cool regardless of what was happening or being said, and loved that he was amused by Cordelia's stubbornness! Watching the chemistry grow slowly between them was so much fun!

The plot for this book was both timeless and unique which was great. I love the familiar mixed with the new and exciting! For example, a woman striking out on her own to make her own way in the world has been done many times before, but the way Erin Satie told her story was different from any other book that I have read. The Duke's love of pranks and games was quite enjoyable, and the fact that it was mixed in with Cordelia's political discussions made the book feel balanced in a way. It was a good blend of serious and lighthearted. 

I did feel like certain things happened rather abruptly. I'd say the last quarter of the book seemed very fast paced compared to the rest of it, and I did feel like there were a few loose ends. For example, one of the supporting characters' situations, Octavia, was not resolved - however I'm not sure if that's because Erin plans on writing a whole book around her? If that's the case, then I understand but if not then I will be left wondering! 

All in all, I think this was a really fun read with lots of really great information - the book binding parts were super interesting! I think it could have been made a bit longer in order to really finish the story well, but otherwise I loved it! Looking forward to my next read by this author!

Rating: 4/5 Devils!




1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked this!! I will have to add it to my TBR it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete