Sunday 21 February 2021

The Stolen Kingdom: Jillian Boehme

 

Title: The Stolen Kingdom
Author: Jillian Boehme
Publish Date: March 2nd, 2021
Publisher: Tor Teen
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC for review!

For a hundred years, the once-prosperous kingdom of Perin Faye has suffered under the rule of the greedy and power-hungry Thungrave kings. Maralyth Graylaern, a vintner's daughter, has no idea her hidden magical power is proof of a secret bloodline and claim to the throne. Alac Thungrave, the king’s second son, has always been uncomfortable with his position as the spare heir—and the dark, stolen magic that comes with ruling.

When Maralyth becomes embroiled in a plot to murder the royal family and seize the throne, a cat-and-mouse chase ensues in an adventure of dark magic, court intrigue, and forbidden love.

Penelope's Review

I enjoyed this book quite a bit more than I expected! I love that it's a standalone - I find it difficult to find good standalones these days. Everything is always getting dragged into trilogies or more, even when those that probably shouldn't lol! 

I found this book to be fast-paced, exciting, and it had some great, unique aspects to the storyline! I love any story with magic, and this one did not disappoint. I have read reviews saying that the book seemed too rushed, but honestly I found it to be a breath of fresh air in a genre that often drags storylines on longer than they should. Could this book have been a duology? I mean yes, it could have but honestly I don't think it needed to be. The quick pace made for a fun, easy read with no room for boring. There was always something happening, and it gave off a good "can't put it down" kinda vibe. 

The book was written from the perspective of both Maralyth and Alac, and I enjoyed reading from both points of view. I really loved watching Mara grow into the role of Queen. She started the book as a bit of a subdued, quiet character but with a fiery mind and over the course of the book, became a selfless leader who's courageous attitude made for a great role model. Alac was a great character right from the start. He was sweet and curious, and eager to have a life of his own outside of the influence of his powerful father and the stolen magic. He was instantly taken by Mara and it was great seeing their relationship grow as they got to know one another. 

While the ending was not what I was hoping for, I think it fit the story perfectly. Any other ending would have been cliché (not that I mind cliché lol). Overall, I am really impressed with what the author came up with, and I look forward to trying anything she releases in the future! 

Rating: 4/5 Devils! 




No comments:

Post a Comment