Tuesday 20 April 2021

The Murder Game: Carrie Doyle

 

Title: The Murder Game
Author: Carrie Doyle
Publish Date: April 6th, 2021
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Source: Huge thank you to Raincoast Books for providing me with an ARC for review!!

What if your best friend and roommate killed a teacher at your prep school? Or what if he didn’t do it, but he’s being framed, and you’re the only person who can save him?

Luke Chase didn’t mean to get caught up solving the mystery of Mrs. Heckler’s murder. He just wanted to spend alone time with the new British girl at their boarding school.

But little did he know someone would end up dead right next to their rendezvous spot in the woods, and his best friend and roommate Oscar Weymouth would be the one to take the blame. With suspects aplenty and a past that’s anything but innocent, Luke Chase reluctantly calls on his famous survival skills to solve the mystery and find the true killer.

Penelope's Review

This was such a fun mystery to read! I don't normally gravitate to these types of books but something about this one gave me pause, and I decided to give it a go. I'm so happy I did because it was a whirlwind adventure! Every time I thought I'd figured it out, the story veered and there was a new lead to consider!

The books follows Luke Chase, who feels determined to clear his best friend's name after sneaking out with him and 2 girls the night of a murder. Luke slowly works through suspect after suspect, sometimes considering multiple at a time. I really liked trying to figure this murder out, and while I am definitely not an expert on this particular genre, I felt that it was in line with what can be expected from a teenage murder mystery. 

There were quite a few loose ends so I am assuming another book is coming. There were a few aspects that I was hoping would be wrapped up in this book, but I guess I'll just have to wait! I found the ending happened quite rapidly. One minute I had no idea who the killer was and then boom the book was solved and over. It didn't take away from the rest of the book, it just felt rather abrupt. Regardless, I really liked this and am looking forward to what comes next!

Rating: 4/5 Devils!





1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something I would like. I love mysteries. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete