Friday 9 April 2021

How to Survive a Scandal by Samara Parish

 

Title: How to Survive a Scandal
Author: Samara Parish
Publish Date: May 25th, 2021
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC for review!

In this whirlwind regency romance a near-death experience leads to a marriage of convenience for two unsuspecting strangers, but will their unusual meeting lead them to true love?

Lady Amelia was raised to be the perfect duchess, accomplished in embroidery, floral arrangement, and managing a massive household. But when an innocent mistake forces her and the uncouth, untitled Benedict Asterly into a marriage of convenience, all her training appears to be for naught. Even worse, she finds herself inexplicably drawn to this man no finishing school could have prepared her for.

Benedict Asterly never dreamed saving Amelia’s life would lead to him being shackled to the hoity Society miss. Benedict was taught to distrust the aristocracy at a young age, so when news of his marriage endangers a business deal, Benedict is wary of Amelia’s offer to help. But his quick-witted, elegant bride defies all his expectations . . . and if he’s not careful, she’ll break down the walls around his guarded heart.


Penelope's Review

This was such a cute, fun read! I really enjoyed it and want to congrratulate this author on her debut. 

The book follows Lady Amelia, a prim and proper, upper class member of society. She is destined to marry a duke, but one mistake ruins her chances and forces her into marrying our male lead, Benedict Asterly. I loved Amelia's character - she took everything in stride, and stayed true to herself no matter what. Watching her grow and learn about things that she always considered beneath her station was heartwarming and exciting! I loved that this book was sort of the opposite of what I'm used to in these romance books - the ones I pick up always seem to be a rich, upper society man rescuing the poor damsel with no prospects. While I love, and will continue to love that trope, I must say this was a breath of fresh air! I loved seeing Amelia brought down a few notches only to clamber back up them again with ferocity and determination. 

Benedict was a hard-working man with great aspirations and a love for the people in his town. I loved reading from the perspective of a working class man in an era of industrialization. Benedict was also very protective of his little sister, and it was sweet to see that side of him. 

While Amelia and Benedict's relatonship was a bit dramatic at time, it nevertheless kept me entertained and rooting for them. The chemistry was definitely there, but I hoped for more romance in this romance novel lol! I still thoroughly enjoyed the book however, as it had a great plot and lots of entertaining twists and turns. If the next book in the series is featuring the two characters I think it might be, then I am super excited to see what happens - I am hoping for more heat and chemistry, but looking forward to it regardless! 

Overall, this is a great read that I recommend to anyone looking for a bit of a different twist on regency romance. I think ou'll quite enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment