Tuesday 5 January 2021

Life After Death: Sister Souljah

 

Title: Life After Death
Author: Sister Soujah
Publish Date: March 2nd, 2021
Publisher: Atria/Emily Bestler Books - Simon & Schuster
Source: Received an e-book copy on Netgalley from Simon & Schuster
The stunning and long-anticipated sequel to Sister Souljah’s million copy bestseller The Coldest Winter Ever.Winter Santiaga is back.Twenty years ago, Sister Souljah’s debut novel, The Coldest Winter Ever, became a bestselling cultural phenomenon. Fans fell in love with the unforgettable Winter Santiaga, daughter of a prominent Brooklyn drug-dealing family, who captivated her lovers, friends, and enemies with her sexy street smarts. For two decades, fans have begged for answers about what happened to Winter. Now all is revealed in Sister Souljah’s page-turning sequel, filled with her trademark passion, danger, temptation, and adventure. With her jail sentence coming to a close, Winter is ready to step back into the spotlight and reclaim her throne.


Penelope's Review

I was really excited to read this because I loved The Coldest Winter Ever and Midnight and really thought that Sister Souljah could do no wrong! So believe me when I say I am so sad that I have to give this one a less than stellar review. But it just didn't do it for me.

The book is based on Winter's life after she has died (so think heaven, hell, devils, God, etc.). That alone was a bit of a shock to me given the style and content of Sister Souljah's past books. Unfortunately, the storyline ended up being completely disorganized and all over the place. I didn't even know what was happening half of the time. The writing was subpar, not at all the unique style that I have come to know and love from Souljah's books. 

The characters that popped up were weird and not very well written. I didn't understand the purpose of quite a few of them (Bridgette for example... could not tell you who she was or what she was doing in this book aside from shouting random nonsense over and over again). The entire last half of the book seemed to be some sort of push/propaganda for the Islamic religion? Not that there is anything wrong with religion, but it was a very odd way of writing about it in what is supposed to be a fictional book. 

And don't even get me started on all of the problematic messages littered throughout. I get that Souljah's books are known for being crass and pushing boundaries, but this was just... over the top and not in a good way. I mean, she repeatedly described abortion as murder, condemned any religion that did not worship Allah (those who believed in God/Jesus/Mary, etc. were stuck in the in-between place, couldn't go to Heaven), and that's only 2 of the many issues going on in this book. I'm really not sure how this ended up getting published, honestly. 

I guess I can give it props for a little bit of a twist at the end? But even that is not enough to redeem this book. Overall, I don't think I can recommend this book, and I truly feel that good reviews will be few and far between. You are of course more than welcome to read it yourself and form your own opinions, but if I am being completely honest... I don't think you need to.


Rating: 1/5 Devils



 

No comments:

Post a Comment