Saturday 5 February 2022

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi Book Review

 

Title: Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publish Date: February 5th, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Purchased a copy for myself!

It should have taken Juliette a single touch to kill Warner. But his mysterious immunity to her deadly power has left her shaken, wondering why her ultimate defense mechanism failed against the person she most needs protection from.

She and Adam were able to escape Warner’s clutches and join up with a group of rebels, many of whom have powers of their own. Juliette will finally be able to actively fight against The Reestablishment and try to fix her broken world. And perhaps these new allies can help her shed light on the secret behind Adam’s—and Warner’s—immunity to her killer skin.

Juliette’s world is packed with high-stakes action and tantalizing romance, perfect for fans of the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard and the Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken.


Penelope's Review

Wow. I'm almost 99% sure that I read this book back in high school but damn I did not remember anything and that just made this re-read SO MUCH BETTER. This book just has so much going on and it's amazing. It's been a very long time since a book made me laugh out loud, or need to put it down for a moment to process what I've just read... I had actually forgotten just how exciting a book can be. Unravel Me took me right back to my younger days when I would gush about a book for days and dream about it for weeks, and think about it for months. Let's talk details!

I want to start by saying I love the writing in this book more than in Shatter Me - as I mentioned in my Shatter Me review, I am well aware that the writing is meant to reflect the mindset of Juliette, and I think Tahereh Mafi is brilliant in the way she was able to do this but I'm just not a huge fan of the style. But now, in the second installment, Juliette is changing. She's getting stronger, more confident (though it takes most of this book to get there, admittedly). But the writing reflects that gradual change. I'm super impressed with the way the author wrote this book. 

This book had a ton of surprises. We get to explore Juliette's power more, and are taken on an emotional whirlwind as she tries to cope with what she's learning. I found her to be more realistic in this book. Her lows and her highs were something I could see anyone feeling if they were going through something similar. We also have Adam experiencing some big moments. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't go into any detail but I will say that this is the book that had me slowly falling out of love with Adam. Which I think was the point lol! And then we have Warner. I knew going into this series that it was a bit of a love triangle situation, but honestly when reading Shatter Me I couldn't fathom how the author expected it to be a difficult choice. I was so hell bent on Adam being end game. And then I read Unravel Me. And that's all I'll say in that regard ;)

In terms of plot itself - fantastic. Not for a single moment was I bored. Every page had me wanting more (which is why I flew through this in two sittings). It was a high-stakes adventure with twists and turns that I never saw coming. Absolutely brilliantly done. Looking forward to the next in the series!

Rating: 5/5 Devils!





No comments:

Post a Comment