Thursday 10 February 2022

Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi Book Review

 

Title: Restore Me (Shatter Me #4)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publish Date: March 6th, 2018
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Purchased a copy for myself!

Juliette Ferrars thought she'd won. She took over Sector 45, was named the new Supreme Commander, and now has Warner by her side. But she's still the girl with the ability to kill with a single touch—and now she's got the whole world in the palm of her hand. When tragedy hits, who will she become? Will she be able to control the power she wields and use it for good?



Penelope's Review

Wow. First of all, I want to say that I absolutely LOVE the fact that this book was in both Juliette and Warner's point of view. It makes me wish we had the first three books in his point of view as well. I loved getting a glimpse into the inner workings of Warner's mind, mixed with the comforting familiarity of Juliette's thoughts. 

This book is chock-full of INTENSE revelations. The twists and turns are literally insane. And so, so good. We get to explore more of Warner and Juliette's relationship - I just love the two of them so much. I loved watching the cracks in Warner's perfect image. Seeing his emotions shine through, and exploring more of his past was amazing. He is a fantastically written character. So many layers, yet so human and relatable. 

Juliette is struggling in this book. She's won the battle and is supreme commander now yet didn't take a moment to think about what that means. The time and responsibility and endless number of things to do are taking their toll. But she's a badass character and I truly think she will come out ahead of all this. Some shocking revelations lead to a bit of instability in her mind, but it was all brilliantly written. We even got some diary excerpts which was a great look at her thought process from her time in the asylum. 

Kenji also deserves a note here - he is one of the best supporting characters I've ever had the pleasure of reading about. He's hilarious, always able to crack the tension in a room. I am constantly laughing out loud at his antics. But I also loved getting to know more of his back story, and the struggles he's had to endure. He went through so much yet he didn't let it break or twist him into an evil person. Kenji is loyal, selfless, and the best friend Juliette could ever have.

Overall, I think this was an amazing addition to the series. I'm so surprised at the directions this series is taking but I couldn't be more excited to learn more. Restore Me left me in an odd place. I'm not sure I can put into words what I felt at the end. It was a fantastic book, but I wish that certain things hadn't come between certain characters so strongly. I can only hope it is a fissure that can be patched together and overcome. Now it's time for book 5!

Rating: 4.5/5 Devils!





 


No comments:

Post a Comment