Saturday 29 May 2021

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman/Stephen King

 

Title: The Long Walk 
Author: Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman
Publish Date: July 1979
Publisher: Signet 
Source: Purchased a copy myself

On the first day of May, 100 teenage boys meet for a race known as "The Long Walk." If you break the rules, you get three warnings. If you exceed your limit, what happens is absolutely terrifying.





Penelope's Review

 I have not read too many books by Stephen King, but from what I have read and heard, I know that he is a brilliant writer. This book has only enhanced my opinion of his work. The Long Walk had been on my TBR list for quite some time, and I'm so glad I was finally able to set aside the time for it! 

Stephen King seems to have a knack for being able to get inside people's heads and get them thinking beyond the superficial. I was amazed at how well he was able to articulate each character's thoughts, and how realistic he was able to make this storyline seem. The book follows 100 boys competing in the Long Walk where they basically have to walk 4 miles per hour or faster until there is only one left. They have 3 warnings, after which they are shot dead. They are able to lose the warnings, however, by walking for one hour without any further warnings. 

Just imagine that... you have to walk, basically without stopping, going to the bathroom in front of thousands of people, not sleeping, rationing your food, etc. for days. Phew it really gets my mind rolling just thinking about it. 

There are quite a few characters that we get introduced to, but I didn't find it confusing at all. I knew exactly who each character was, and that really just speaks to the skill of Stephen King. It's not easy to write so many characters without confusing/boring a reader so that was a really great aspect. 

There's really not much I can say about this book, other than you should read it for yourself! You won't be able to understand the appeal this book holds until you are in the minds of the characters, walking with them, crying with them, fighting with them. I am still in a debate with my family over how long we could walk for without stopping lol... I am very intrigued and kind of want to try this out myself... minus the dying part haha! Give this book a try, you won't be disappointed!

Rating: 4/5 Devils!





No comments:

Post a Comment