Thursday 14 January 2021

The Ravens: Kass Morgan & Danielle Paige


Title: The Ravens
Author: Kass Morgan & Danielle Paige
Publish Date: November 3rd, 2020
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Source: Recieved an ARC from Raincoast books!
Kappa Rho Nu isn’t your average sorority. Their parties are notorious. Their fundraisers are known for being Westerly College’s most elaborate affairs. But beneath the veil of Greek life and prestige, the sisters of Kappu Rho Nu share a secret: they’re a coven of witches. For Vivi Deveraux, being one of Kappa Rho Nu’s Ravens means getting a chance to redefine herself. For Scarlett Winters, a bonafide Raven and daughter of a legacy Raven, pledge this year means living up to her mother’s impossible expectations of becoming Kappa Rho Nu’s next president. Scarlett knows she’d be the perfect candidate — that is, if she didn’t have one human-sized skeleton in her closet…. When Vivi and Scarlett are paired as big and little for initiation, they find themselves sinking into the sinister world of blood oaths and betrayals. 

Penelope's Review

Hmm.. I liked this book, but it didn't end up being one of my all-time favorites. I was really excited because I love witch stories, and it definitely had potential, but I seemed to lose interest a bit more the further I read. 

I liked how the book started, and at first, I was eager to get back to it each time I put it down. But the more I read, the less it seemed to hold my interest. The book alternates between two points of view: Vivian's and Scarlett's. I enjoyed reading from different perspectives, and I really liked Scarlett. Her character was powerful, sassy, and real. I felt like I could connect with her, and she seems to be the only character in the book that actually underwent some great development! Vivi on the other hand was a bit flat for me. Too naive for what is supposed to be a college setting, and just didn't seem to undergo any improvements throughout the course of the book. 

It seemed like the two male romantic interests, Mason and Jackson, were thrown into the mix simply to state that there was a romantic angle to the book. These two characters were boring and just didn't mesh well with the story. I have a similar opinion of the supporting characters - underdeveloped, random, basically the same character with different names.

A bit of a plot twist at the end which I liked because I was pretty sure I had it all figured out and then realized I didn't quite have it right. Definitely a quick, at times fun read. But overall, it was unfortunately not for me. I encourage you to give it a try though, and form your own opinions!

Rating: 3/5 Devils!







No comments:

Post a Comment