Saturday 4 December 2021

Sienna by J.F. Johns Book Review

 

Title: Sienna
Author: J.F. Johns
Publish Date: December 1st, 2021
Publisher: Ingram 
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy!

I live in a world of chaos.

A world divided between humans and cyborgs.

A world where girls are snatched off the streets to become Marked Ones, their bodies inked with names and images. And now, now I am one of them.

I've been sold to a man called the Master. A notorious Hunter who kills cyborgs. I'm in the claws of the most feared man, trapped in a mansion with six other girls just like me.

I will find the way to escape this nightmare. To run from this world full of torture and death. And the Master's son, Ero, is going to help me. He'll help me save myself as well as the other girls. I will break the cage I'm trapped in, save the girl I'm falling in love with and destroy the evil that inhabits these four walls.

One way or another, I will be free.

Even if it means becoming the worst monster of them all.


Penelope's Review

Before diving into this book, I saw that the reviews weren't amazing so I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that I loved the cover, and I loved the blurb - so I was excited nonetheless. And I actually ended up really enjoying this! Basically we have regular human, Hunters (who are human but hunt cyborgs), and cyborgs (who are considered second class citizens). Sienna is a human captive of a Hunter who goes by Master, along with six other girls referred to as "sisters". 

Now as some other reviews have mentioned, with the number of characters present in this book, it is true that we don't truly get to know all of them, other than superficially. We don't hear about the backstories of all of the sisters, for example  so if you are really character driven in your book preferences, then this may not be the one for you. That being said, we do get to know Sienna herself pretty well, as well as the backstories of Ero, Aema, the Master, etc. And personally, that was enough for me! 

Sienna is super headstrong, and always wants to fight for what is right. Despite knowing that others may be hurt for her actions, she goes ahead and does the right thing anyway. I actually really loved that about her - I didn't find her selfish, personally. I mean, she's put in a tough position regardless of what she does. If she stands by and does nothing, one person gets hurt. If she acts to save one, another gets hurt. Regardless of what she chooses, something will happen - so I think it's great that she acted on what was right in front of her every time. (This will make a bit more sense if you read the book lol).

Overall, I liked the storyline alot, I liked the characters we meet throughout the book, and I enjoyed the unique plot. There was alot of violence, which I wasn't expecting, but I thought it was written well and added to the story. Give it a shot!

Rating: 4/5 Devils!







No comments:

Post a Comment