Wednesday 18 May 2022

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas Book Review!

 

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publish Date: May 5th, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury 
Source: Purchased my own copy!

Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Penelope's Review

Why did I wait 7 years to start this series you may be asking? Well firstly because I didn't know it existed until about 2 years ago and secondly because I was then convinced that it could not possibly live up to the hype. I was so... so wrong. This is very quickly turning into one of favorite series (I am halfway through the second book ass I write this review lol). 

So we have Feyre, a badass 19 year old who hunts out of necessity to feed her family, though what she'd really like to be doing is painting! She and her family, as well as most of the mortal world holds a deep hatred for faeries who live on the other side of the wall. When Feyre murders a faerie in the shape of a wolf one day, Tamlin comes to collect her and bring her to the Spring Court to live out the rest of her days as a sort of payment for killing one of their own. 

Phew... the drama gets so, so good from there on out lol! I absolutely adore Feyre - I think she's smart, sarcastic, and totally relatable. And Tamlin was also right up there for me - he's sexy, yet reserved, and has this control to him that's so much fun to watch come undone. I really liked these two - loved the buildup and tension between them, loved the eventual passion, and loved the loyalty and dedication. 

The plot itself was also great - I really liked the Beauty and the Beast ties, and loved the action and fast pace. I will say that when it came to a particular riddle... I found it really easy to solve which kind of took away a bit of the fun. But overall, this was just a really great read. I also really enjoyed the side characters - Amarantha was evil and badass, a fantastic villain really. Alis was sweet, and I liked her role. And then there was Rhysand. Boy oh boy am I excited to see more of him. I really and truly don't now who I prefer - Rhysand or Tamlin. I loved them both. Looking forward to finishing the second book and seeing where all of this goes!

Rating: 5/5 Devils!




1 comment: