Friday 12 November 2021

The Witch Collector by Charissa Weaks Book Review

 

Title: The Witch Collector (The Witch Walker Trilogy #1)
Author: Charissa Weaks
Publish Date: November 2nd, 2021
Publisher: City Owl Press
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy for review!

Every harvest moon, the Witch Collector rides into our valley and leads one of us to the home of the immortal Frost King, to remain forever.

Today is that day—Collecting Day.

But he will not come for me. I, Raina Bloodgood, have lived in this village for twenty-four years, and for twenty-four years he has passed me by.

His mistake.

Raina Bloodgood has one desire: kill the Frost King and the Witch Collector who stole her sister. On Collecting Day, she means to exact murderous revenge, but a more sinister threat sets fire to her world. Rising from the ashes is the Collector, Alexus Thibault, the man she vowed to slay and the only person who can help save her sister.

Thrust into an age-old story of ice, fire, and ancient gods, Raina must abandon vengeance and aid the Witch Collector in saving the Frost King or let their empire—and her sister—fall into enemy hands. But the lines between good and evil blur, and Raina has more to lose than she imagined. What is she to do when the Witch Collector is no longer the villain who stole her sister, but the hero who’s stealing her heart?

The Witch Collector is book one in a thrilling romantic fantasy trilogy, perfect for fans of Naomi Novik, Sarah J. Maas, and Jennifer L. Armentrout.


Penelope's Review

I initially picked up this book because of the excellent cover and because the premise sounded right up my alley! While there were some strong points throughout the story, it seems I'm in the minority in terms of overall enjoyment. I really wanted to love this, but it wasn't a favourite of mine unfortunately. 

I found it very cool to read about a voiceless main character with many characters speaking in sign language. This was a first for me, and I think the representation is incredible! Very impressed. The actually writing style itself was also very good. 

I found this book great in some places, where it really picked up speed. But I felt a bit bored at other times, which I think is why it took me so long to get through this. I found myself confused in a few places, unsure what information I was reading. And there was very little background given on the main character, Raina, so it was difficult to understand her extreme level of anger and hatred. The romance was pretty good - I liked Alexus and loved his side of the story and his growing feelings. I was less in love with Raina's side of things. But it worked out overall.

I really enjoyed the end of the book, when things really picked up. I got through it quite quickly and am excited to see what happens to all of these characters next. 

Overall, I don't think this was a bad book by any means and I can see why so many love it, it just wasn't quite for me. That being said, it seems like the second book might be a little more up my alley so I will definitely be checking that out!

Rating: 3/5 Devils!

   



No comments:

Post a Comment