Thursday 25 November 2021

Highland Champion by Cynthia Breeding Book Review

Title: Highland Champion (Children of the Mist #3)
Author: Cynthia Breeding
Publish Date: November 15th, 2021
Publisher: Entangled Amara
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy for review!

Lorelei Caldwell is elated about her first season in London. For the next few months, she and her best friend can indulge in balls, flirting, and enjoying the delights of London society without any family interference. This season is for adventure, not marriage. But her adventures are short-lived after the arrival of her friend’s brawny, dark-haired Highlander brother, Alasdair MacGregor, who insists on standing as chaperone.

Officially, Alasdair is in London to reclaim lands that rightfully belong to his clan. Unofficially, he’s here to figure out how best to win Lorelei’s hand in marriage. But London proves to be full of complications… especially when she begins matchmaking him with someone else.

Except Lorelai’s plans have backfired and she is finding herself craving Alasdair’s attentions. Her longing for freedom could come at a high price, unless Alasdair can salvage her reputation...without destroying her independent heart.


Penelope's Review

This is the second book I have read by Cynthia Breeding and I am still a fan of her work! I was excited to see that Lorelei was getting a story, and I'm really enjoying getting to know each MacGregor brother!

In Highland Champion, Lorelei goes to London for the Season with the MacGregor sister Fiona, and Alasdair goes along as well to settle some land disputes now that the clan name has been restored. We know from previous books that there has already been one stolen kiss between the two, so I was very excited to see how the relationship between them played out given their history.

This was a slow burn romance, and aside from their own thoughts about each other, I found that there wasn't a lot of physical interaction between the two. One thing I will say is that I really wanted more - but the storyline and twists and turns is what really kept my interest here, so I didn't end up minding as much. I found that Fiona and her suitors actually seemed to play almost as big a role as Lorelei and Alasdair's which was interesting. I don't often read a book where a supporting character takes such a front stage role but I absolutely adored Fiona and I loved trying to work out the intentions of Gavin and Erik so this was honestly more of a help to the book than a hindrance in my opinion.

While I enjoyed reading the whole book, I have to say that things picked up quite a bit at the end and became very exciting! I still have some questions - mainly about Lady Melissa and Lord Westwood and what exactly the history is there but perhaps we will find out in a future book? Overall, I think this was a good read, with lots of nice little historical details scattered throughout. I look forward to continuing the series!

Rating: 4/5 Devils!





No comments:

Post a Comment