Saturday 27 February 2021

Curse of the Celts: Clara O'Connor


Title: Curse of the Celts (The Once and Future Queen #2)
Author: Clara O'Connor
Publish Date: March 18th, 2021
Publisher: HarperCollins UK: One More Chapter
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a ARC for review!
You are accused of crimes against the Code. How do you plead?

After failing to escape the Roman metropolis of Londinium with Devyn, her lover, and Marcus, her betrothed, Cassandra wakes in inky darkness to find the ground giving way to sand beneath her feet.

All three of them have been carted back to the notorious arena at the heart of the city to stand trial by public vote. Cass knows they must escape at any cost: to warn the Celts of the mysterious blood curse ravaging their kin, to foil the schemes of the imperial council…

To find the fabled Lady of the Lake, the one who could save them all.

But even as the jaws of death close in around her, another threat looms in the shadows, a danger she never could have foreseen, a betrayal that could burn down her entire world.

Fans of The Hunger Games will revel in this sweeping dystopian adventure set in an alternate fantasy universe where the Roman Empire never fell.

Penelope's Review

Wow. Just wow. I thought I loved the first book in the series... the second book puts the first one to shame lol! (jokes.. I loved both). Boy are we ever taken on a whirlwind of an adventure in this one. I didn't know whether to give it 10 stars or no stars and anyone who's read it will know exactly what I mean!

This book kept me engaged from start to finish. There was adventure, mystery, and intrigue at every turn of the page, and the character development was amazing - it far surpasses that seen in the first book, in my opinion. We got to see a new side of Cassandra, one more mature and confident than in the first book. She knew what she wanted and didn't care about the consequences of retrieving it. I loved this more daring approach to her character. Devyn was drool-worthy as usual. I was a bit annoyed at his reticence with Cassandra yet again but felt that it was true to his character. Seeing the moments of humility in him really kept me going. And the introduction of new characters was tastefully done. 

I did find myself a bit confused when trying to map out the surrounding lands after they left Londinium. There were quite a few territories mentioned and described and I had a hard time keeping track of the important ones and the alliances between each. I would love a map of the country if Clara O'Connor ever decides to put one out! 

This author is a master of cliffhangers and this book is no exception. She has an art for keeping readers on the edge of their seats, and leaving them wanting more... so much more.. when finishing her books. I am beyond excited to read the third and final installment in this series and I am most definitely a fan of this author for life. Very excited to see where she takes her writing career at the conclusion of this series, but I for one, will be first in line for whatever she comes out with! 

That being said, I am giving this book 4.5 devils rather than 5, because that ending was so unexpected and left me feeling empty for days lol. I am sad, mad, and a whole host of other emotions (which speaks to the immense talent of this author) but in revenge, I am taking half a devil off ;) See you for another review when I get my hands on the final installment of The Once and Future Queen series!

Rating: 4.5/5 Devils!









1 comment:

  1. This series sounds amazing. I must have a look at the first book in the series.

    ReplyDelete