Wednesday 29 December 2021

A Scoundrel of Her Own by Stacy Reid Book Review

 

Title: A Scoundrel of Her Own (Sinful Wallflowers #3)
Author: Stacy Reid   
Publish Date: December 28th, 2021
Publisher: Entangled Amara
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy!

Lady Ophelia Darby exists in two worlds. In one, she is the impudent, willful daughter of a powerful marquess and darling of the ton. In the other, she moves through the underworld’s shadows as songstress Lady Starlight, protected only by the notoriously wealthy scoundrel Devlin Byrne. But when she stumbles upon her beloved father’s darkest secrets, the line between her two worlds quickly blurs. Now she needs the help of the one man a lady should never trust.

Devlin Byrne stands on the edge of London society, knowing he will never be accepted. No one else knows that his obscene wealth and ruthlessness aren’t without purpose. Or that his purpose has golden-brown eyes that shimmer with mischief, the palest of skin, and a lush mouth that beckons to be kissed, and deeply. But having Ophelia is only the beginning of Devlin’s plans.

It’s undeniable that Devlin Byrne is a dangerous temptation—but just as Ophelia begins to trust him, maybe even fall for him, she discovers she’s not the only one with secrets. And his would lead her down more than just the path of scandal…


Penelope's Review

Wow am I ever impressed with this book! This is the first book I've picked up by this author and I truly can't wait to pick up her others. It can be difficult for a book to stand out in this genre due to the overall predictability (though that is why we keep coming back to this genre lol) but this one really hit the mark. I found the storyline unique, intriguing, and full of wonderful messages. 

Lady Ophelia aka Fifi was a breath of fresh air. She was intelligent and resourceful, and stood up for what she believed in even when it went against the status quo. Her fierce determination in fighting the prejudice that permeated the London ton was admirable, to say the least. She was well-spoken, passionate, and just an overall enjoyable character. I really liked how the author wrote her. 

Then we have Devlin. Wow. Just wow. I have an obsession with male characters that are fiercely loyal to and protective of the object of their affections. Devlin did not disappoint in this regard. He had eyes for Ophelia, and Ophelia only. He was crass in all the right ways, and stopped at nothing to achieve his goals. Watching these two fall in love was a huge delight. I absolutely adored their back story and how they met - it felt like fate and I'm a sucker for that kind of story.

I do wish that we had explored Fifi as Lady Starlight just a bit more and I also am not sure how I feel about the ending as it pertained to Ophelia's parents. All of my questions were answered in that regard, so I dont feel like I'm missing anything but I did get the feeling that it was a bit brushed under the rug. Overall however, I loved this story, and I really loved the author's writing style. I'm very excited to read the previous two novels in this series and am looking forward to the next one! It sounded like a great premise if I'm guessing the correct character!

Rating: 4.5/5 Devils!







1 comment: