Sunday 10 October 2021

Once More Upon a Time by Roshani Chokshi Book Review

 

Title: Once More Upon a Time
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Publish Date: October 5th, 2021
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: Huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy!

Once upon a dream, there was a prince named Ambrose

and a princess named Imelda who loved each other...

But alas, no more.

"What a witch takes, a witch does not give back!"

their friends and family warn.

They resign themselves to this loveless fate...

A year and a day pass.

And then their story truly begins...

Embark on a perilous journey with Imelda and Ambrose as they brave magical landscapes and enchanted creatures on their quest to reclaim their heart's desire... But first they must remember what that is...


Penelope's Review

I went into this with high hopes, as I am always up for a fairytale but unfortunately this fell a bit flat for me. While I definitely knew what I was getting into, I thought maybe there would be just a tad more than what we're given. It was short and cute, no surprises really, so if that's what you go in expecting you'll be fine. But the characters lacked any sort of depth and there wasn't much in terms of world-building - a lot of telling rather than showing. 

Sweet for what it was, but I think a younger audience would appreciate it more. I'd put this in between middle grade and YA. Give it a try if you like fairytales, it'll be a quick read!

Rating: 3/5 Devils!






No comments:

Post a Comment