Saturday 2 June 2018

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

Author: Veronica Roth
Publish Date: January 17th, 2017
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Bought

Summary by Goodreads.


In a galaxy powered by the current, everyone has a gift.
Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra’s currentgift gives her pain and power—something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother’s hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows.
Akos is the son of a farmer and an oracle from the frozen nation-planet of Thuvhe. Protected by his unusual currentgift, Akos is generous in spirit, and his loyalty to his family is limitless. Once Akos and his brother are captured by enemy Shotet soldiers, Akos is desperate to get his brother out alive—no matter what the cost.
Then Akos is thrust into Cyra's world, and the enmity between their countries and families seems insurmountable. Will they help each other to survive, or will they destroy one another?


Penelope's Review


Carve the Mark was an interesting and enjoyable read for me  - I actually read it whilst on a beach in Cuba so maybe that's improved my opinion lol! 

I definitely liked the character Akos - there were many sides to him that I found intriguing and I liked his strong sense of loyalty to his brother despite what him and his brother have to go through. Cyra, another of the main characters, I also liked but I wouldn't say she was my all time favorite. Her currentgift created many issues for her and I did enjoy seeing how she slowly learned to cope with it and come to a better understanding of what it is and how it can be used but it just took me some time to get past her negative attitude and enjoy her role in the book. 

I've read quite a few reviews commenting on how slow the book was and that some didn't finish the book at all - while I do agree that it was perhaps a bit longer than it needed to be, I in no way felt that it was something I didn't want to finish! The plot was interesting, what with the different worlds and the merging of such different characters. I found the currentgift concept to be an interesting part of the story as well as the fates that befell the 'favored families'. 

I enjoy Roth's writing style and loved her Divergent series as I'm sure most of you did as well! I'm happy that she came out with this and am very excited to read the second and final book in the duology! (Which I just recently bought, yay!) Overall, Carve the Mark was definitely another great read from a great author, and I'm excited to see what she comes up with next!


RATING: 4/5 Devils!






No comments:

Post a Comment