Monday, 3 October 2011

Hex Hall Review

Summary: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Rating: ♥♥♥♥
Cover: 4/5 These covers are so cool! I just find the whole reflection thing so awesome! :p

Review: Wow well first of all let's just say that before reading Hex Hall, witches were definitely not one of my favorite supernatural creatures... now they're in my top 3! :p This book was exciting from beginning to end. There was always something going on and Sopie Mercer is definitely on my list of fave strong, fearful, and kick-ass female characters! I loved how cool she was! Even when faced with some life threatning situation, she had a snarky sarcastic comment on the tip of her tongue! :p There was honestly a laugh or two on every page.

And what good is a book without a romance of some kind?? Despite her tough exterior, Sophie's helpless crush on the hot warlock Archer Cross was so cute! I swear the entire time I was reading the book, I was begging the pages for something to happen that would bring them together :p I won't tell you if my wishes came true though - you gotta read the book for that!

Other than the amazing plot, full of action and romance, I thought the characters were great! Seriously!! There were so many awesome characters that brought this book together... I'd have to say Jenna, the only vampire student at Hex Hall and Sophie's roommate, was my favorite character besides Sophie and Archer. I just loved how she was such a good friend to Sophie and stuck around no matter what happened!

Overall, Hex Hall was an awesome book and I absolutely cannot wait to read the second book in the series, Demonglass.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Hex Hall too! It's really a great book. My review is here, if you'd like to read it: http://janaebooks.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/hex-hall-by-rachel-hawkins/ Jenna was one of my favorite characters too... I think I'm more Team Cal than Team Archer though...

    ReplyDelete