Thursday, 13 October 2011

Eyes Like Stars Review

Summary: All her world’s a stage.
Bertie Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater. She’s not an orphan, but she has no parents. She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own. That is, until now.
Enter Stage Right
NATE. Dashing pirate. Will do anything to protect Bertie.
COBWEB, MOTH, MUSTARD SEED, and PEASEBLOSSOM. Four tiny and incredibly annoying fairies. BERTIE’S sidekicks.
ARIEL. Seductive air spirit and Bertie’s weakness. The symbol of impending doom.
BERTIE. Our heroine.
Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the actors of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book — an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family — and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.
Lisa Mantchev has written a debut novel that is dramatic, romantic, and witty, with an irresistible and irreverent cast of characters who are sure to enchant the audience.
Open Curtain


Rating: ♥♥♥
Cover: 4/5 I think the cover is really pretty. love Bertie's (I think its Bertie:p) hair and all the faeries around her - so cute! :p

Review: So after hearing how great this book was from so many people, I was really excited to check it out! I thought it'd be an amazing read that would leave me desperate for more... sadly, I found I was a bit disappointed :( I mean it was a good book, with some pretty awesome characters but I just found that there was such a big hype over something that was kinda lacking.

Out of all the characters, I'd have to say Ariel was my favourite - usually the main character of a book (in this case, Bertie) is my favorite, but Ariel was so much more exciting! I looked forward to his parts in the book, and was almost bored when he wasn't there.

I also just didn't really like the way in which Eyes Like Stars was written. With the occasional script breaks and things like that... it just didn't read like a novel to me :/ I'm sorry for those who don't agree, this book just wasn't my thing.

However, I will continue to read the series because I'm interested to see what happens to certain characters - such as Ariel :p And also because I just can't leave a series unfinished no matter what :D

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about not totally loving the first book in a series but having the feeling of needing to finish it. I felt like this about Shiver!

    Thanks for your honest opinion.

    ReplyDelete