Sunday, 16 October 2011

Beauty Queens Review

Summary: The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program--or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan--or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.


Rating: ♥♥♥♥
Cover: 4/5 This cover is too cool :p

Review: Ok so first of all, I think the idea for this book is the funniest, stupidest thing I've ever heard. And that is just what i got - the funniest. stupidest read ever! :p I mean come on, beauty queens stranded on an island?? You have to read a book like that! I will be honest though, the reason I gave this book 4 stars opposed to my initial decision of 3, was the ending. I'm a total sucker for those cute, happy endings :p Otherwise, I do think I would have just given it 3 stars :/ Don't get me wrong, it was good and all, but just not something you'd find on my list of favorite books.

But don't let that mislead you. There was definitely a healthy dose of action, and government spies and conspiracy! And of course, lip gloss and sequins. Oh and then the pirates. :p Teehe I mean what is a book without hot guys? Pirates no less. Sheesh especially when dealing with beauty queens. However, there was also guns, blood, violence... I think it tied the story together well :D

The characters in this story are all fun and memorable as well. I think the one that stuck with me was Miss New Mexico who had a tray stuck in her head the whole book - yup its as excitingly stupid as it sounds :p You'll have fun seeing all the surprising truths that come out about some of them though, that's for sure

Overall, Beauty Queens was a pretty good book. Kind of a fun read that's good for when you have one of those nice weekends when you have nothing to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment